dimanche 11 novembre 2012

Imagine Dragons – Botanique (07/11/2012) ENGLISH


Remember that Imagine Dragons review I posted six months ago about the magic of Youtube random videos and Imagine Dragons being one of the most refreshing musical discoveries I’ve had in a long time?
Well… to make a long story short, let’s say that as soon as I found out they were touring Europe and performing one night in my country, I rushed to Le Botanique website to buy a pair of tickets. Without even watching the date. Without even checking if I hadn’t any other plans on that day. The things you’d do for the love of music, eh? Don’t we say that (musical?) “love is blind”? 

Leaving the office, running to the station to catch the first train heading to the capital, finding my concert-partner-in-crime and we go straight to the Botanique. Buy a pair of tickets for Jake Bugg’s show in March 2013, just to see if he’ll be as great on his own as he was as Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds’ opening act and… I’m starving, let’s go eat! Just in case you didn’t know, Le Botanique has its own little restaurant with delicious Italian plates: that’s where Audrey and I are eating while exchanging the latest gossip in our respective lives before other friends join us.
While listening to my friend, my eye caught a blonde guy walking in the hallway which I immediately identified thanks to his tall height. The fact that he was followed by a shorter guy with long brown curled hair was definitely another clue that the guys from Imagine Dragons were already in the place. They came to eat, totally unaware that the whole table on the other side of the restaurant were actually people who’d be in front them an hour later… 

We leave our table to go into La Rotonde. Le Botanique has got more than one stage but I never had a chance to see a show in La Rotonde. Once I’m in, I’m like “waw!”. The venue is a small rounded place with a maximum capacity of 250. It feels like you could touch the stage from any place you stand. The light technician is a true magician: for a moment, you may actually think you’re watching stars in the sky… Waw (again!). And the show hadn’t even started… Truth is that this light technician deserves a five-stars because I did notice his work during the show as well. Beautiful lighting!

♫♪ Stars in the venue ♫♪ (and not only on stage)

 
 The opening act is a Belgian band named Vegas. A band I do know about as I’ve written both an album and a live show reviews (in French though, sorry…). I saw them live a year ago and their booking agent had told me they had massively improved since our first meeting so I was curious to see them again.
And… she wasn’t wrong at all. The guys from Vegas have actually improved since last year. It seems to me some of the songs have been slightly improved as the guys added a few additional but discreet notes that gave these songs a different dimension while still being very recognizable. There’s a small difference though as the band found themselves a new bassist: he seems very comfortable on stage and the guys gave all their best this night… Al’s voice is still as strong as it has always been, Seb’s way of dealing with guitar strings is still awesome and David’s drumming skills are still an effective part of the band’s sound. Only better than a year ago.
I had a funny moment on my own though when I realized that the opening act’s name is Vegas and that the main act comes from Las… Vegas. Maybe it was a sign after all…



 
Once the Vegas set is over and all their instruments gone from the stage, it’s time for the Imagine Dragons’ crew to place the boys’ gear. Wait a minute! Is it… ? Oh my, yes it it! I’m so used to see mains acts having a crew setting things up for them that I (very stupidly!) never imagined that the Imagine Dragons crew could be… the boys themselves. So here we have Wayne Sermon, Ben McKee and Dan Platzman walking on stage to set guitar, bass and drums respectively. They’ll also take their gear out of the stage once the show is over except it’d only take them a longer time with people now recognizing them and seeking for a word, an autograph…

So… let’s set things up. The few times I mentioned them around me, I just got the answer “Never heard of them...”. Which is always a frustrating moment where you feel like some Robinson Crusoe on his deserted musical island. In Belgium, the boys got some radio airplay but not so much... yet. Maybe tonight may change things and help people know more about them. 

Orrrr… maybe not? In fact, it takes only a few seconds to realize that most of the place is filled with people who already know Imagine Dragons… It didn’t take much time too to get the audience clapping their hands and singing along to “Rocks”. 

Wayne Sermon plays with his guitar chords, Ben McKee set his bass in tune while singer Dan Reynolds stands in front of the keyboards… What’s coming up next? The distinctive keyboards melody opening helps me identifying “Amsterdam” quite easily… This one is one of my favourites of the “Night Visions” album thanks to its great musical vibe: truth is the song is as great played live than heard on my MP3 player. To be honest and sum things up straight away, that’s a fact for all songs of the set list. I’ve listened to “Night Visions” and the “Continued Silence” EP God knows how many times but Imagine Dragons’ live performance is even better. Especially when you’ve got good musicians and a competent singer on stage. Add the responding crowd that was there that night and you have an amazing moment! At a certain time, I smiled thinking back of Slash’s show of last month and his “Slash army”… I was smiling because if the tonight’s venue was smaller, if tonight’s audience was smaller, the “love” sent back to the guys on stage wasn’t definitely smaller! And that’s always a fine moment to witness…

It looks like Dan Reynolds was thinking the same as he told us about the beauty of the place and the energy of the people before letting Wayne play us a nice guitar introduction… Reynolds grabs two drumsticks and spreads his arms wide open before giving us the distinctive “Ooooh” opening of “Radioactive”. On this one, it’s almost impossible not to notice how much of a percussion band Imagine Dragons is: Dan Platzman plays his drums, Reynolds hits the massive drum bass while Sermon does the same on a smaller drum bass. The crowd is happy to help on the shouting “radioactive” word of the song while the four other guys act as background vocalists. No need to get background vocalists when you can both play your instrument and sing, right? “Four” background vocalists? Yep people… Imagine Dragons is a four-piece band but when it comes to touring, they transform into a five-piece with the help of Ryan Walker. He may hide in half-shadow, almost in the background of the stage; I spotted the guy, alternating keyboards and guitar playing.
Near the end of the song, the band starts to jam… Reynolds picks up the drum sticks on the floor, hits his drummer’s cymbals before heading to the small drum bass and hitting it with energy. Talking about “energy” is a way too small word to describe the singer : all through the show, I’ve seen him running the stage from left to right, from right to left, hitting both drums bass, playing keyboards, jumping… Some may find it exhausting to watch, I say I was impressed by such… well… let’s say… “radioactive energy”? ;)
 

 
Another haunting guitar introduction by Mister Semon before the band starts playing “Tiptoe”, another song with great energy to which the crowd gladly responds.
 
Dan Reynolds takes a moment to tell us he never thought he’d be singing these songs in Belgium and how beautiful the crowd is. He also let us understand that there are more people than he probably expected and thanks us for being there tonight. On the right side of the stage, Ben McKee smiles and nods, silently confirming the singer’s words. The singer grabs the microphone stand, turns around and gives Dan the drummer a head sign. The signal to start… “Demons”. I wrote in my April review how touched I was by this song’s lyrics: some songs never really go away, you know. This one is part of those songs that sticks to you like the most aggressive glue… Is it bad? Don’t think so… I was smiling all through the song. THAT can’t be bad…

Imagine Dragons singer then mentions how much of a family this band has become but also cares to mention that tonight, the whole room is filled with many members family. He tells us to forget about work and the worst times of the day to enjoy our time here and… dance. Damn right! “On Top Of The World” is the perfect song to forget about your worries and… I just can’t picture much people standing still to that melody. Well in fact… nobody stood still, mostly during the chorus and the front stage crowd in particular delivered a nice “dance moment”!

During “Cha-Ching”, one of the songs you can’t find either on any of their EPs or “Night Visions”, the singer shows us that high-pitched notes are no big deal to him… It also seems as Drummer Dan don’t mind having people around his drum kit as Wayne enjoys a “hitting-the-cymbals” moment with him. 

Of all instruments, drums remains my favourite (shortly followed by electric guitar and… violin)… Trouble is that tonight, I have a massive drum bass in front of me and is therefore unable to fully enjoy the vision of Mister Platzman hitting his drums. Guess I’ll have to enjoy it only through my ears then… and “Hear Me” is the perfect occasion. Oh well... don’t get me wrong, I have noticed and heard the guitar melody and great solo by Wayne, Ben’s bass notes and… yes, Dan, I heard you asking us.. erm… “Can you hear me?”. I definitely heard all of them on this one and I’m not so much surprised that “Hear Me” is apparently the band’s next single as  the track has got huuuge potential.
 


Damn drum bass!! :p
 
Before starting the next song, Dan explains they spent the afternoon visiting Brussels and mentions he didn’t know much about Belgium except for… wafels and fries. He then says “Frites?” with a questioning tone. The crowd claps and shout, showing him his French translation of fries was per-fect.
 
All members leave the stage, with the exception of Dan and Wayne who perform another song totally unknown to me, “Lay Me Down”… I’ve mentioned earlier Reynolds’ incredible positive energy but the tall blonde guy can also put himself at rest to deliver emotional musical moments. “Lay Me Down” is proof that it sometimes doesn’t take much to create a magical moment. A guitar and a voice seemed to be enough in this case…
My friend tapped on my shoulder and asked me “Is he gonna try to make us cry?” to which I answered “I think he’ll try”. Did it work? Everyone was watching what was going on the stage so nobody noticed my eyes, probably better that way, I guess…

What it takes to make an emotional beautiful song...

 
As the guys return from backstage, Dan explains how much it has been rewarding to come in Europe and how much of “Living The Dream” this experience is. He also explains the band started to play small venues and that they now miss that when they play in USA. He likes the fact that he can see all the faces in the crowd and that it makes him feel like not too far away from home before thanking us once again. Mr Reynolds seems to genuinely care about the fans and never let an opportunity go by when it came to grab hands, kiss heads… of the front stage people. 

“Round And Round” is one of the songs that didn’t make it from the EP to the “Night Visions” album. Considering I compared that one to a Coldplay sound-like song on my review, I guess it’s not a big loss. “Tiptoe” is for instance a song that fits better to the unique sound of Imagine Dragons and will give journalists less opportunities to compare Imagine Dragons to other bands or artists. I must admit though that the live performance of the song was still enjoyable to watch…

So… jumping around everywhere on a stage with a bottle of water is NOT recommended. Why? Because that’s how you may end up sitting on that same stage, making people laugh because you slipped on a wet floor. Not something enjoyable, right? Seems like Dan Reynolds’ shoes don’t keep him on safe ground and he asks us if we would mind having him shoe-less to avoid some accident. Wayne found a better solution and starts cleaning the floor with a towel while Dan introduces him as his best friend. Considering his best friend shouldn’t do this, he kneels and starts cleaning the mess himself… leading the audience to a great moment of laughter.
With Dan now up on his feet again and floor all cleaned-up, the boys can swap cleaning duties for a more enjoyable thing: music!

On “Night Visions”, the opening of “Underdog” immediately made me think of some Caribbean-ish music. The melody evolves into something a bit different but keeps a very laid-back style. “Underdog” is a nice song to be played live as the audience seems to instinctively know when to shout out the “hey” of the song. To be honest, it’s really hard not to sway on that one… 

The singer explains that after the show is over, they’ll take the road, all stinky and wet and ask the crowd if it wants to come with them. Can’t recall hearing a “no” coming from that crowd…
While Dan Reynolds puts his shoes back on, Dan Platzman hits the drums, Ben and Ryan starts clapping, soon being joined by the singer. At this point, people in the crowd had already showed they had recognized “It’s Time” by screaming out loud… This song, the most well-known song of the band, whose video has been nominated for a MTV Video music award, is a powerful song. The audience sing along all the way and Dan let the fans sing most of the chorus themselves, leading to one of these wonderful moments you can only experience by going to see artists on stage. Those moments might be great for the ones standing on the stage but trust me, they’re great moments for those who witness them as well. And man! That song is sooooo great I can’t help myself smiling every time I listen to it…
 


 
The band leaves the stage but… it takes them less than a minute to come back. Dan picks up the microphone to tell us that most of the time, they really take time to think about encores but that tonight, they all agreed that they had to come back on stage pretty quickly. He adds that he’d definitely remember that night and that he can’t wait to come back in Belgium. While the boys starts playing the final song, a person in the front row gives something to the singer that he shows us all before kissing it and carefully putting it near the drums. I’ll later found out that it was a lighter with “I Belgium” printed on it.

The Encore song is “Nothing Left To Say”, a song with powerful background vocals to support Dan’s strong voice. In the middle of the song, Ben claps his hands and the crowd quickly follows him…The song rhythm slows down: Ryan plays acoustic guitar and Dan gives us a few drums beats while the boys sing vocal harmonies with support of the audience’s clapping. Suddenly, Dan leaves the middle of the stage to grab the small drum bass and moves it in front of Dan Platzman. Ryan moves closer to the drums as well… The song’s rhythm quickens while Reynolds heads for the drum sticks. All of a sudden, he starts hitting the drum bass. Wayne and Ben shows us what they’ve got as well… At this time, they know, we know, everyone in this room knows the end is near but these five guys on stage certainly don’t intend to end up their set quietly. They want YOU to remember them and they want YOU to keep in mind the very last moments of this show. Guys who gave so much that night, guys who are there not as a team, not as as band but… a family sticking to each other until the very last second of their last song.
 


 
 “There’s nothing left to say now. Give it up.”, they say? I say I’m not sure people in the room are ready to give up on you guys…
And as for the “there’s nothing left to say”, I wouldn’t say that either ‘cos I still have a few things to say about the Las Vegas band. 

Someone asked me one day “what kind of music do they play” and… I couldn’t answer very precisely. Partly because I definitely wanted to say “some kind you should try to listen to” (which is the common catch phrase for some artist I like), partly because I REALLY can’t precisely define their musical style. I’d be tempted to put a pop/rock label on them depending on the song but somehow, the electronic sound they sometimes put in their songs makes it even more difficult to describe their sound. At the end of the day, who cares about the description of their sound? With the exception of “Round And Round”, I can’t compare them to any other bands. 

I listened to their EPs and album very carefully and was a bit worried some songs wouldn’t sound as well once played on a stage. Like I wrote earlier, I couldn’t have been more wrong. That night, I felt the magic expressed in EPs and album. For real. So much better. Imagine Dragons have a few stage hours behind them and that’s something you quickly sense: all members are very comfortable on stage and know exactly what they have to do. For our pleasure. And probably their own as these guys quite never imagined doing anything else than music. Three of them being former students of the famous Berklee College of Music is another clue of that musical passion. 

Most of the time, you only get what you see and most people only have live performances and/or interviews to appreciate their favourite band or artist. If you’re lucky, you might end up meeting them and have a glimpse of their attitude towards fans. What most people don’t know is that the Botanique has this particular aspect of being a venue… without back doors. Therefore, the artist of the day necessarily has to pass the front door to leave the place. Guess what happened? Yep… the guys came out of stage and… ended up in the hall where most fans were buying souvenir shirts. No need to say that they didn’t leave immediately…

When I’m “musically in love” and write about it, I like the artist to know about it because I assume it can’t hurt to know some people care about your music. Most of the time, I post a link to my article through some facebook page or send it by email. In this case, I had the opportunity to give the article in person to the band. I may have studied communications, that’s a different world from public relations or advertising so I still have massive issues when it comes to “promote myself”: best proof being most of my friends and colleagues have no idea I have a musical blog. So I literally had to kick myself on the a** to give the article to one of the guys… which happened to be Dan Platzman. I told him how I found out about them; he was surprised when he found out about the article and warmly thanked me when I gave him a copy of it. No problem. I just hope they’ll like the words, they were written with the heart. As always when it comes to music.
 


 
I was far to know that my lost scarf would bring most stories to the Imagine Dragons adventure. To make it short, we had to go back to the place to retrieve that damn scarf of mine and… ended up in front of the band and their small crew trying to put all their instruments in the mini-van (very impressive storage by the way). All members in front of me = unique moment and if I let it go, I’m the most stupid woman on Earth!
I – still shyly – ask them if they’d accept to take a picture with me and they nicely agree… So here we are standing on Le Botanique stairs for a photo souvenir. During our short talk all together, I tell Dan how awesome his voice was tonight and the tall guy gave me the most unexpected answer I’ve ever had coming from a musician. No. Coming from someone I only met two minutes before. Somehow, his behavior is probably at the image of this band. They may have had their “It’s Time” song recently covered in the Glee series, they may have “On Top Of World” used as the opening theme of CBS’s new sitcom “Partners” and they may have broken the 2006 record for the highest charting for a debut rock album on the Billboard 200 chart but… they remain humble, down-to-Earth guys that took time to have a chat, to give autographs and have pictures taken with people who came to see them that night… 

“I get a little bit bigger but then I’ll admit, I’m just the same as I was. Now don’t you understand I’m never changing who I am”. Maybe in the end, that’s what I have always liked about “It’s Time”… 

Guys… if you read this, stay as you are! I’m one of those who firmly believe the attitude of an artist is as important as the music. From what I’ve witnessed from afar that night, from what I’ve read on the Internet after the show, from comments I’ve received, you have given many people great happiness in Belgium… and some of them even took a plane from Italy to receive a little bit of that “love” from you. 

The worst thing I wish you is the whole world knowing about your music and for you to make it SO big around the globe. So… maybe someday, you’ll come back to play in a bigger venue in Belgium and maybe we will never be able to chat or have our pic taken together because it’ll be too much crowded. But I’ll always remember the dancing on “On Top Of The World”, I’ll always remember the emotion on “Lay Me Down”, I’ll always remember the energy of the live version of “It’s Time”. Yep, trust me… I’ll always remember these nice guys and how good their music makes me feel.

Wayne Sermon, Ben McKee, Dan Platzman, the one NOT in the band, Dan Reynolds...
Where on Earth was Ryan Walker, eh?

 
Setlist :
-         Rocks
-         Amsterdam
-         Radioactive
-         Tiptoe
-         Demons
-         On Top Of the World
-         Cha-Ching (Til We Grow Older)
-         Hear Me
-         Lay Me Down
-         Round and round
-         Underdog
-         It’s Time
Encore
-         Nothing Left To Say

 
 

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire